Thursday, May 14, 2009

The S.M.A.R.T. Girls program

Yesterday I went to my local Boys and Girls Club to meet some prospective students for my 12-week summer class. The program that I have developed is called S.M.A.R.T. Girls (Which stands for skills mastery and resistance training) and the classes will be held once a week at the Boys and Girls Club. It is important that in gang prevention that the female counter parts are not forgotten. A lot of times young girls also have a need to belong and will turn to other things such as drugs, alcohol, teen pregnancy, and abusive relationships. My goal with this program is to educate these young ladies about the dangers out there such as STD's, AIDS, and female victimization. Giving them the knowledge, so that they can make smart decisions. Also educating them about the importance of career goals and being active in their community. I want for them to have confidence so that they do not have self esteem issues, which is why diet, exercise, and etiquette are all part of the curriculum. I cannot wait to get this program rolling!

No comments: