Sunday, November 22, 2009

Black Tie Ball Benefiting Big Brothers and Big Sisters
















I was thrilled to help out for the 2nd year in a row at the Big Brothers and Big Sisters black tie auction and dinner. Having worked with this organization for 2 years as a youth mentor, I know the importance of this program and how the funds raised at this auction will go to benefit the children. In this program, high risk children are placed with either a male (big brother) or a female (big sister). These adults help mentor the child through bi-monthly meetings. We just hang out with each other and get to know more about what is going on in their lives, we also with help out with tough decisions. During my 2 years as a mentor I not only shared my experiences with my little sister, but she at the same time taught me more about myself. I took her to many different places and showed her that she has options in her life. She can choose what she wants, and that people don't have to tell her how her life is going to end up. Many times these kids just want someone to listen to them,and to have a positive role model in their life. During the night I helped during the live auction as a spotter. There were many extravagant vacations being auctioned off. Also many great pieces of art, I was so excited because the last auction was for a 10 piece art work that was commissioned specifically for this event. It was painted by 3 children in the program, and in the end I helped sell the painting for $6,250.00. We were also able to raise $210,000.00 in 10 minutes from some VERY generous donors! I'm glad that I could help raise money for this great cause that is near to my heart.

No comments: