Sunday, December 28, 2008

Jade Monfils at the Christmas Angel Project 2008



Christmas is more a time of giving than receiving, and I spent the holiday with the Dallas Soup Mobile. Which is an organization that I have previously worked with. All throughout the year the "Soup Man" David Timothy, takes the Soup Mobile van around the streets of Dallas and feeds the homeless. December 24th and 25th was the Soup Mobile's Christmas Angel Project, which took 450 homeless off the streets, and put them up at the Hyatt Regency Dallas. Where each person got their own room to rest in and shower. They were feed 3 meals in the banquet room, and were given new clothes (all donations from companies). My role at the event was during Christmas dinner, I greeted the guests as they arrived and introduced the Chairman of the Christmas Angel Project. A lot of people usually just disregard the homeless, but they are people who are just down on their luck for the moment. They are working to get back on their feet, and the holidays are a supposed to be a time of celebration and not despair. I saw many familiar faces from the Dallas Day Out event at City Hall back in October. Many of the homeless actually remembered me from that event, I joked with some of them when the others were saying "How does she know you?" that "Oh yea, we go way back". Being at this event for me was the true spirit of the holidays, and I am so glad that I got to meet everyone. Here is another clip of the days events online:

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dallasnews/local_state/index.html?nvid=316198&shu=1

No comments: