Friday, June 19, 2009

SMART Girls update

This week was the 1st class of S.M.A.R.T. Girls, that I am teaching at the Boys and Girls Club. I originally planned my curriculum with teen girls in mind, but the majority of the young ladies that were in my class ranged from 8-12. No problem, I just had to change my level of thinking. The younger girls 8 & 9 years have the shortest attention and you really have to make the content fun for them (they are in 3rd and 4th grade), while my 10 & 11 year olds are very into what their friends are doing and they tend to want to stick together in groups, so I have to make the content "cool". The 12 year olds will understand a little more, since they are starting to realize the difference between them and the boys. This week we talked about goals and what we want to accomplish in the future. We made my favorite "inspiration boards", I brought a TON of magazines and told them that they could have anything in the whole world, to look through the magazines and if they want it to rip it out. I told them that if they even thought they might want it to take it and we could always sort later. It was a fun "girls" time, some of the younger boys were trying to check out what we were doing and to join in on the fun. But were told by the girls that it was "GIRLS ONLY"! It is really fun to see what all the girls want to have in their future. Also it is important that they know that they can have anything that they want as long as they set their mind to it. :) I can't wait til next week when we talk about nutrition!

No comments: